The Royal Life Saving Society UK have developed the National Water Safety Management Programme (NWSMP) providing a flexible occupational water safety management training solution for a wide range of employers who require their workforce to operate safely in or near water whilst meeting their civil and statutory water safety management obligations.
This is especially applicable where employees have supervisory responsibilities in or near water. Many people working near the water margins receive minimal or no water safety training due to water safety training often taking a back seat compared to more traditional and recognised health and safety training. Through consultation with industry and lead bodies, RLSS UK has identified this gap in water safety training provision and launched NWSMP to close the gap, improving water safety across a wide range of working environments and operational sectors.
The aims of the NWSMP are to:
- Equip anyone working in, on or near water with essential knowledge and skills to make informed decisions about managing safety
- Enable group leaders to deliver safer activity at open water sites
- Develop occupational water safety skills for employees working around the water margins
- Facilitate compliance with Statutory and Civil obligations, especially the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 with related regulations and covering Safe Systems of Work
- Develop effective Emergency Response Skills for those working in a water-based environment
The NWSMP is as relevant to a school teacher as it is to a member of the emergency services, countryside ranger, construction worker or outdoor pursuit’s instructor.
The Programme has been endorsed by the Health and Safety Executive, Outdoor Education Advisory Panel, Expedition Providers’ Association and was developed in close consultation with a number of relevant and key leading bodies including:
- Health and Safety Executive
- Expedition Providers’ Association
- Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- Devon & Cornwall Police
- Institute of Outdoor Learning
- National Open Water Coaching Association
- The Scouts Association
- Outdoor Education Advisory Panel
At Safety Forward we can provide water safety training, water rescue, marine training, marine group management, water health and safety, water’s edge and water margins training.