The school holiday season is fast approaching, and although summer is a fun time it is also a time of year where you should be particularly cautious on your child safety, especially due to the crowded busy environment of the holidays. There are various steps that you can take in order to keep your child healthy and safe.
1. Have a discussion with your children before you go out with your family. Lay down a rule that you must always be able to see them and they must always be able to see you.
2. Explain to your children if they lose you they should look for a “safe stranger” for help. For example, a mom with kids or a cash register person. Agree on a meeting place with older children in case you get separated.
3. Establish a ‘check first rule’ with older children. So they must check with you before going anywhere in a public place, (for example another store).
4. Do not leave your children alone at video arcades, movie theatres or other public places.
5. Always bring your child to the restroom with you.
6. Ensure that your child knows not to speak to strangers, even if they seem nice or didn’t look like dangerous
7. Make sure that your child knows your cell phone number.
With these steps in place, we hope you have an enjoyable and safe summer!